Obese people do have certain symptoms, which occur naturally as a result of the obesity. The following are the noticeable ones that are commonly seen in fat people and which can affect the activities in daily life.
Then there are certain warning signs that tell you of underlying health conditions that can be triggered by obesity and some of which are serious. You should know that obesity is classified as a disease.
- BMI of 30kg/m² or greater
- An extra large horizontal body frame
- An unhealthy body fat distribution more around the waist
- Compulsive overeating or binge eating disorder. The most common type of food that obese people turn to is “junk food,” or food that is stocked with empty calories, carbohydrates, fat and sugar
- Lethargy or laziness
- Breathlessness is seen on even little physical activity. This is because the extra weight in the chest and abdomen puts additional load on the breathing muscles and tire them.
- The face has fat cheeks and a double chin making it disproportionate but not necessarily ugly.
- Difficulty is seen in doing daily activities such as bending or carrying things or getting up from a sitting position or sleeping position. Sudden physical activity is difficult.
- Women have sagging breasts and even males exhibit sagging fatty deposits in the breast area.
- Irregular periods in women
- Big belly and big abdominal girth.
- Flabby fat deposits in the arms and thighs.
- Early puberty.
- Male genitalia appear small as compared to its size due to surrounding fat.
- Erectile dysfunction
- A feeling of being tired almost every day.
- Increased sweating.
- Snoring during sleep.
- Difficulty to go to sleep.
- Back pain and joint pains.
- Difficulty in maintaining personal hygiene.
- Obese people may exhibit certain psychological symptoms such as poor esteem of self, low confidence levels, and limited friends and social life.
Obese people have a higher risk of certain health disorders such heart diseases, hypertension, diabetes, osteoarthritis, gallbladder disease and more.
If present, besides the obesity symptoms, certain warning signs and symptoms of these medical conditions may also present themselves.
These are the signs that warn you of an impending complication due to obesity.
- Shortness of breath could be a sign of a heart problem
- Aching knee – a sign of osteoarthritis
- Headache or giddiness – a sign of high blood pressure
- Backache – a sign of developing back problems such as spondylolysis or spinal stenosis
- Psychological symptoms indicative of depression
- Heartburn and acid reflux could be a sign of GERD
- Snoring indicative of sleep apnea
Morbid obesity symptoms
Morbid obesity is obesity of a higher grade with a BMI of 35 kg/m² or more or 100 pounds overweight. People who are morbidly obese have a higher chance of developing complications and very likely of exhibiting symptoms of those health conditions.
- Excess fat build up
- Shortness of breath on little activity
- Difficulty in walking
- Joint pain especially of the knee
- Erectile dysfunction
- Feeling of fatigue
- Other symptoms of obesity described above but of a more severe degree