With the COVID-19 novel coronavirus running rampant with its highly contagious nature and worrying mortality rate, it becomes today necessary to protect yourself and your dear ones from this COVID-19 virus. You can do so by taking some precautions in your daily living routine.
Within 100 days of the discovery of this new strain of the coronavirus, it has attained pandemic
proportions with its progressive transmission stages in various countries of the world.
More than 200 countries across the world are affected and many have enforced strict lockdown measures, which have had a devastating global effect on the economies. In spite of the importance of this impact, it takes a secondary position – the first one being to protect yourself from the corona invasion.
Precautions to protect yourself from corona infection
- Facemasks are an essential part of the strategy to protect yourself from acquiring coronavirus infection. But, wearing a mask alone will not offer effective protection.
- Practice social distancing. This simply means keeping a distance of 6 feet (2 meters) with all persons, whenever you venture out of the house
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Stay at home. Do not go out unless absolutely required.
- Do not smoke and drink.
- Clean door handles and any such items in your house that outsiders may have touched with an alcohol-based sanitizer (60 to 90% alcohol).
- Stop taking newspapers.
- Wash your milk packets with soap and water before you open them.
- If you have gone out of your house for some urgent task, wash your worn clothes with soap and water on return.
- Wear non-sterile latex gloves when going out. You touch door handles at public places such as in a grocery store or a mall, lift buttons and you handle notes that have crossed dozens of hands. You can always wash off these gloves with soap and water and dry them to wear them again. Having a few pairs will come handy. Secondly, when you wear gloves, you do not touch your face unconsciously.
- Self-quarantine and/or isolation if necessary
Protect yourself with a stronger immunity
You should take steps to protect yourself from the novel Coronavirus, and what will stand as an unbreakable wall between you and the virus is the strength of your immune system. It will fight the virus if it invades your body and ensure that the least harm is caused by it.
Your immune system produces antibodies that will engulf the invading microorganism and destroy it. A weak immune system is like a weak army and does not protect you efficiently.
You can increase your immunity by
- eating the right foods of vegetables, fruits, and more
- exercising daily for 30 minutes
- sleeping well for the required hours and
- enjoying the right lifestyle with no smoking and liquor in moderation.
What does it mean to self-quarantine a suspected case of COVID-19?
Self-quarantine of a patient means that the person is under suspicion of being infected due to possible exposure, but not confirmed by symptoms or testing. He needs to be prevented from coming in contact with other people.
What does it mean to self-isolate a confirmed case of COVID-19?
Self-isolation of a patient is for that person who is a confirmed case of the corona disease and similarly needs to be prevented from coming in contact with other people.
Steps to follow for self-quarantine and isolation
- You must stay at home all the time and must not attend work or school.
- Take your body temperature twice a day and maintain a daily log.
- Maintain a watch for COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, dry cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle aches, and loss of taste or smell.
- Stay away from other people as far as possible and always maintain a distance of six feet.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-95% alcohol.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, which you must safely dispose off and wash your hands with soap immediately thereafter.
- Do not enter the kitchen to cook for yourself or others.
- Do not share dishes, cups, utensils, towels, bedding, or other such items with other people.
- Keep separate such items for yourself. After using these items, wash the ones you have used thoroughly with soap and water.
- Wear a mask when you are in the same room with other people.
- Wear a mask if you need to go out to seek healthcare. However, do not share the ride with others.
Ask others, who are not required to be isolated, to get food or other necessities for you. Do not allow unnecessary visitors.
Stay in a separate room and stay separated as much as possible
Especially avoid contact with people at risk such as elderly people and those with compromised immune systems or chronic health conditions (such as chronic heart, lung, kidney diseases, and diabetes) in order to keep them safe.
- Quarantine continues for a minimum of 14 days and after your medical officer permits.
- Isolation continues till three days have passed with no fever without medication and resolution of respiratory symptoms and after your medical officer permits.