Most people suffering from kidney stones want to pass them out as quickly as possible for fear of the renal colic episodes they have faced. The pain of kidney stones is probably the worst type of pain man ever faces.
Secondly, the fear of having to go through surgery for the removal of the stones also looms large. However, when you pass out a stone through the urethra in urine, the pain can also be excruciating and you wished you hadn’t.
Thirdly, other symptoms such as a burning sensation when passing urine, the increased frequency, and urgency to pass urine can be quite a discomfort.
Flushing the stone out through urine as fast as possible is what most stone sufferers desire.
Studies show that the chances of developing a stone again are about 50% in people who harbor risk factors and those who do not take preventive measures against its recurrence. You should, therefore, take measures to prevent a recurrence of a kidney stone developing once you have passed it out.
Stones can take several weeks to a few months to pass out. It depends on the number of stones present and their size.
At times, the stone has grown in size and it then cannot pass out. For such cases, there are several treatment options available, some without surgery and some involve surgery.
Stones that are larger than 6 mm are considered too large to pass out. They will require non-surgical or surgical intervention.
However, according to the National Kidney Foundation, stones that are between 5 mm and 10 mm may pass out on their own. You should drink plenty of water, follow the DASH diet making sure its salt content is low.
It is possible to hasten the passing out process with less pain for which your doctor will prescribe some medication.
Medical treatments to pass out kidney stones fast
If the stone is larger than 6 mm, it is best to seek medical help to flush out the stone from your urinary tract.
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL)
ESWL is used to treat stones that are situated inside the kidney and larger than 5mm in size but no larger than 2cm.
In this treatment, shock waves break up the large kidney stone into small pieces, which then pass out through the urine.
This procedure makes the use of high-energy sound waves that create strong vibrations, which pass through your body breaking the stone into small pieces. The shock waves are focused on the stone under ultrasound guidance.
ESWL consists of transmitting shock waves in the form of vibrations to help break up the kidney stone into smaller pieces. This will then allow the crushed small pieces to pass more easily out of the body.
High-energy sound waves that create strong vibrations pass through your body breaking the stone into small pieces. Shock waves focus on the kidney under ultrasound guidance.
This treatment may also be used when the stone is situated in the proximal part of the ureter and blocking urine flow and causing extreme pain.
This procedure is an OPD procedure done under sedation or light anesthesia and takes about an hour. There is no overnight admission required.
It is contraindicated in obese or pregnant patients, as there are risks for kidney injury with this treatment.
To help pass the kidney stone out quickly, your doctor may prescribe an alpha-blocker, which relaxes the muscles in your urinary tract, which helps pass stones easily and with less pain.
Flomax is the alpha-blocker that is commonly used. It dilates the ureter and facilitates easier passage of the stone. You take Flomax once daily and it is safe for use in both men and women.
Natural home remedies to pass kidney stones fast
There are many natural home remedies to help pass kidney stones effectively and quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids: This will increase urinary flow, which may help pass the stone more quickly and easily. Health experts recommend drinking about 12 to 15 glasses spaced out throughout the day to help flush stones out of the urinary system.
- Be active: Patients are encouraged to be active with physical activity, which may help the stone pass.
- Lemon juice, olive oil, and water: Mix one-fourth cup of lemon juice with an equal amount of olive oil. Drink it and follow up with a glass of water. Do this twice a day. At the same time, remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day as advised above. Lemon helps dissolve the stones and the olive oil helps to flush them out of your system.
- Apple cider vinegar and water: Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with six to eight ounces of water and drink the mixture 3 to 4 times throughout the day. This helps to get rid of the stones in two ways. Apple cider vinegar contains citric acid, which actively dissolves kidney stones and facilitates their passage out of the body more easily. Secondly, apple cider vinegar makes the blood and urine alkaline and this helps prevent the formation of new kidney stones.
- Basil juice and water: Basil contains acetic acid, which helps to dissolve kidney stones and reduce pain. Drink one teaspoon of its extract or juice once every day.
- Asparagus: Steamed asparagus has a mild diuretic effect by which it may help flush out kidney stones.
- Diuretic foods: Celery, brussels sprouts, cucumber, watermelon, and asparagus have a diuretic action due to which it becomes easier for the stones to pass out through urine.