Using natural remedies to treat and prevent hair loss and provide natural care to your hair has the distinct advantage that they are less expensive and secondly, they do not contain harmful chemicals that irritate your scalp and harm your hair. Moreover, they are effective and they work in getting your hair growth back.
As mentioned in my earlier posts on treating hair loss in men and treatments for women, certain pathological causes of hair loss should be ruled out before trying any of these natural and home solutions. Scalp conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis, seborrhea are common and should be promptly addressed.
This, for the simple reason that, curing the pathology reverses the hair loss and stimulates the hair to grow back. However, it is the reasons of progressing age and hereditary traits that require your additional efforts to try these various natural solutions to help you stop losing your hair.
In men, baldness slowly creeps in and prompt measures can help you prevent it.
In women, thinning of hair is a major problem, which can be addressed with these remedies, which you can try at home.
Needless to add, that a good nutritious diet for hair loss is the mainstay of any treatment to work.
The diet should be such as to feed your hair with proteins, minerals, and vitamins – which simply means a diet of vegetable, fruits, milk and its products, meat, fish, and eggs.
Natural home cures for hair loss and how they work
1) Oil of coconut, almond or mustard
Gently massage your scalp with either coconut oil or almond oil or mustard oil. Castor oil is also a good alternative if you don’t mind the smell of it.
Use oil that is fortified with Vitamin E. Adding lime juice or amla juice to the oil is again very helpful.
Massage in such a way that the entire scalp feels the gentle pressure of your fingers and not just the hair. This will help in mechanically stimulating the hair roots and the blood vessels supplying blood to the hair follicles.
This stimulation results in extra blood flow to the hair follicles giving the hair root more nutrients and oxygen, resulting in conducive factors for hair growth.
Do this every day or at least thrice a week. A good way to do it is to apply the oil at night and wash it off in the morning with cold or lukewarm water. This gives enough time for the oil to percolate into the scalp. Do not use hot water as it can weaken the hair roots and damage your hair making it easy to break.
Oil is used because it facilitates easy massaging, and it is a good moisturizer and softener. Vitamin E is good for hair as it strengthens it. All this makes oil massage a good remedy for hair fall.
2) Coriander leaves or its juice
Rub coriander juice gently over the scalp. Keep it for about half an hour and then wash it off. You prepare the juice by thoroughly squeezing freshly chopped coriander leaves and missing them with water.
How coriander leaves help your hair loss problem?
Coriander is rich in antioxidant content, which helps it to fight the free radicals, which are released during the oxidation process in the body cells.
The free radicals are responsible for the damage to the body cells, in this case, the cells of the hair follicles. This leads to more hair fall and less hair growing back.
Antioxidants prevent damage caused by the free radicals by getting the free radicals to bind with one of their electrons and stabilizing them.
3) Apply herbal serum to stop hair fall
You can prepare this mix in your pantry and watch its wonderful results. This mix is easy to prepare and takes a few minutes.
It is a combination of natural herbs and essential oils, which are good for the health of the scalp and for the growth of hair.
How to prepare herbal serum mix?
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add two tablespoons of dried nettle leaves and horsetail leaves to the boiled water.
- Let the leaves soak in the water until the water cools down.
- Strain the herb infused water into another container
- Add aloe vera to the water.
- Then add 10 drops each of Clary Sage Essential Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, and Lavender Essential Oil.
- You get a liquid gel-like mix. Add this mix to a spray bottle.
- Shake the mix well before use.
- Spray this mix on the roots of the hair by parting the hair every time you spray. Do it on the affected part of the scalp.
- Do it once or twice a day, ideally before going to bed and washing it off in the morning with cold or lukewarm water.
How does it work?
- The herbal serum increases the moisture hydration capacity of the dermis of the skin, thereby promoting the hair repair process.
- Nettle leaves are rich in sulfur and silica. This helps in hair regrowth and makes the hair more shiny and strong.
- The horsetail plant is very rich in silica, which increases the strength of the hair and the nails. The extract is also available as an herbal tea and can be consumed. Besides being a hair loss remedy, it also gives your hair that shiny look. You could even add a few drops of horsetail extract to your shampoo for its benefits.
- Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer and skin conditioner. It also gets rid of sebum and oil from the scalp, which are responsible for blocking the pores and hamper hair growth.
- Essential oils stimulate the hair roots, increase blood circulation to the scalp, deep condition the hair, and control dandruff.
4) Apple Cedar Vinegar and Sage tea
Mix four ounces of apple cider vinegar with four ounces of water. Then, add in ten drops of sage essential oil.
Rinse your hair with this mixture, massage the scalp gently and wrap a towel over your scalp. Keep for 30 minutes or more before washing it.
Use raw, unfiltered, organic, unpasteurized apple cedar vinegar with the mother in it. It is rich in probiotics and mineral content.
If you have colored your hair, do not use apple cedar vinegar because chemically treated hair already suffers a damaged stripped cuticle and apple cedar vinegar can further this damage.
How apple Cedar vinegar and Sage tea help your hair?
Apple cider vinegar removes the dirt and the oil from the scalp and gives your hair a smooth and shiny look.
It clears away dandruff and soothes any scalp irritation that may be present.
By its tonic action, vinegar promotes the blood circulation through the tiny capillaries that feed the scalp.
Sage oil contains properties, which help to get rid of dandruff and cleans oily hair. It also helps to darken grey hair.
This mix is an effective remedy and results are usually seen in 2 to 3 months.
5) Licorice root
Licorice root extract prevents hair loss and damage to the hair by its mollifying properties.
It opens the pores and gets rid of the irritants on the scalp such as dry flakes.
Add one tablespoon of ground licorice root to one cup of milk and mix it thoroughly.
Apply this prepared paste to the bald or thinning areas of the scalp when going to sleep. Leave it overnight.
Wash of the hair in the morning. Repeat this twice a week.
Licorice root helps in reversing hair loss by its regenerating properties. You massage it into the scalp in the same manner as the above applications. It is available in the form of cream and lotion.
You can even drink licorice tea, which also benefits hair fall. This is one of the good herbal hair loss remedies.
7) Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Indian gooseberry or Amla, as it is also called, is a popular remedy recommended by Ayurveda.
Mix four teaspoons of Amla juice with four teaspoons of lime juice and gently massage this mix all over the scalp.
Leave your hair to dry for a couple of hours, or better still, leave it overnight. Wash your hair with lukewarm water.
You could do this once or even twice a day.
Amla promotes healthy hair follicles making them strong, thereby stimulating hair growth, strengthening the hair shafts and preventing hair breakage and split ends.
How does gooseberry help in hair loss?
Gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which prevents hair fall and addresses hair growth.
Its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and the exfoliating properties keep your scalp healthy and stimulate the growth of new hair.
Amla also improves the look of your hair by augmenting its color, whether black, brown or blond.
8) Sesame seeds
Another effective hair loss remedy is eating sesame seeds in the morning. It gives you those minerals, which are so essential for that hair growth.
Natural cures for hair loss do have their benefits. Use them religiously and give them time to work.