Alternate treatments for diabetes are several. We have explained a few natural and home remedies for diabetes type 2, which have been found to be effective. Either one of them can be followed at a time.
These natural cures help to lower your raised blood sugar levels and increase the efficacy of your diabetic medicines. It is strongly recommended that one shall always consult one’s physician before starting these regimens.
Results with such remedies don’t come overnight. You must be patient and give them time. Secondly, they are not a substitute for your meds but act as adjuvants, which increase the efficiency of your diabetes medicine.
The most effective home remedies, you must compulsorily adhere to are:
- The diabetic-friendly diet is a healthy-eating plan that’s rich in natural nutrients and low in fat and calories. Key elements include fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains.
- A regular 30 to 40-minute exercise plan comprising mostly of aerobic activity and a little bit of strength training.
These two therapies, if practiced regularly, will help you control your blood sugar, get control over your weight, and make you feel better.
Some other natural foods that you can include for daily consumption are effective by directly acting on the blood sugar. They do this by enhancing the effect of insulin and promoting the uptake of blood glucose by the body cells.
Natural home remedies for diabetes
- Cinnamon (dalchini). One teaspoon of ground cinnamon daily can bring remarkable improvement in blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes. It also reduces the triglycerides and LDL cholesterol levels in the blood. This spice is commonly used in the preparation of food.
- Bitter gourd (karela). Drink 50 ml of karela juice or 250 gm of the fried bitter gourd daily for three months. In certain Asian countries, bitter gourd vegetables are prepared and eaten routinely. This can also help as a diabetic controller.
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi). Grind 100 gms of fenugreek seeds and 50 gms of turmeric. Take one teaspoon of this mix daily with milk. Vegetables prepared from fenugreek leaves are also an excellent remedy.
- Leaves of applewood tree (Bel ). Soak these in water and keep them in a copper vessel overnight. You should drink one liter of this water the next day in intervals. Do not worry if the water turns green.
- Basil plant leaves ( Tulsi). You should take one tablespoon of juice prepared from these leaves daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Indian gooseberry (Amla). Take one tablespoon of its juice daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Margora tree ( Neem) leaves. Take one tablespoon of its juice daily in the morning on empty stomach.
- Java Plum ( Jamun). You can eat this as a fruit in sufficient amounts or you can drink its juice. Alternately, ground the powder of its dried seeds and mix 3 to 4 grams of it with water. Drink it 3 to 4 times a day.
These natural home remedies for diabetes help in lowering raised blood sugar levels in either of the following ways.
- They inhibit the conversion of starch into glucose when the blood glucose levels are raised.
- They have an insulin-like effect and help in lowering blood glucose levels.
- They help the body cells to take up the glucose from the blood when it is not being done properly, as in Type 2 diabetes.