Coconut is found on the coconut tree and contains coconut water that is sweet and very nourishing. The water of the coconut fruit is an ancient tropical beverage whose popularity around the world constantly rising.
As the coconut ages, its water content is slowly replaced by coconut meat, which is sweet to taste and white in color. Though the name suggests that coconut is a nut, it has always been considered a fruit. Formerly, coconut used to be spelled as a cocoanut.
Coconut water is God’s own flavored drink! Therefore, it should not be difficult to believe that its benefits are bound to be tremendous. If you have read the benefits of drinking water you will realize that water is definitely God’s own drink after the almost magical health benefits it gives to your body.
He then also decided to give us a flavored drink in the form of coconut water. Drink it every day and protect your body with the help of its nutritional benefits.
How to choose a coconut? Always drink from a coconut that is tender. A tender coconut is one that is green. Also, look for a few aging spots on it. Its advantages range from health benefits in the form of medicinal value plus protection from various health disorders.
Nutritional value and contents of coconut water
The advantages of coconut water can be gauged from its nutritional value and contents. What does its water contain?
Coconut water is 95.5% water. The rest is:
- Phosphoric acid
- Lauric acid
- Magnesium oxide
- Reducing sugars
- Low content of carbohydrates
- 99% fat-free. No cholesterol
- Low in calorie content. One cup (240.0gm) contains 46 calories.
Uses of coconut and its tree
Coconuts are typically grown in coastal areas. In dry areas, they can survive only with plenty of irrigation. They are found in 80 countries in the world, the maximum of them being countries in the tropics.
They also form part of the diet in tropical countries with coconut meat being used in the grated form and coconut oil being used as a cooking medium.
The component and its uses are mentioned along with
- Flesh for milk, food & flour
- Flowers in medicine
- Husks to make ropes
- Sticks to make brooms
- Wood for fires in traditional kitchens
- Leaves for thatching of roofs
- Shells to steam food & craft
- Water as a healthy & refreshing sports drink
Health benefits of coconut
Drinking coconut water is very refreshing and this can be felt almost immediately after drinking it. The benefits are wide and varied spreading across many body systems and protecting the body from many health disorders. These advantages are established and cannot be ignored.
- Coconut water is sterile and has been administered intravenously as it is identical to plasma.
- It keeps the body properly hydrated. It is even given to infants to hydrate them in case of loss of body fluids and electrolytes due to diarrhea.
- Coconut water helps to maintain the body temperature at a comfortable cool temperature.
- It is a natural isotonic solution – meaning that, it has the same concentration of salt as blood and body cells. It helps to replace the body fluids and electrolytes, which have been used up during physical activity.
- Benefits on weight loss: As mentioned above, coconut water is low in carbohydrates, 99% fat-free, and low in calories. It also helps you to lose weight as it maintains the metabolism of the body at an optimal level by promoting the function of the thyroid gland.
- Coconut oil, used in cooking, is helpful to lower weight as it contains medium-chain and short-chain triglycerides, which are easily converted into energy rather than being stored as body fat.
- It helps in the proper functioning of the digestive tract and keeps the bowels clean, thus helping in getting rid of the toxins in the body. It also helps in killing and getting rid of intestinal worms. It is good for those who have intestinal gas problems.
- Drinking it helps in flushing the urinary tract and getting rid of any crystals, that may have formed, thus preventing the formation of urinary stones. It also helps in getting rid of stones that have already been formed.
- Coconut water helps the body cells in the uptake of oxygen and nutrients from the blood thereby improving your immune system.
It exhibits anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties due to its lauric acid content. Its anti-viral properties help in fighting viruses that cause flu, chikungunya, herpes, and aids.
- Its consumption helps diabetics to control their blood sugar.
- Benefits of coconut water on skin. As it hydrates the body and helps in getting rid of toxins from the digestive tract and the liver, it has a very positive effect on the skin. Drinking it regularly benefits the skin and gives it a smoothness and glow.
There are few other foods or fruits that can be compared to the nutritional and medicinal value of the coconut. You must make it a habit to drink it every day as the health benefits are almost as if God gave this natural drink to you to keep you free from health ailments.
Which coconut water is best?
Drinking water from the coconut is best and healthier than drinking a packaged one. The latter is not fresh and contains chemicals to increase its shelf life. However, if natural coconut water is not available, you could go for packaged one.
How much of it should you drink a day?
There are no set guidelines for how much to consume. You can safely drink water contained in one coconut every day.
Is coconut water good for diabetes type 2?
The magnesium content of coconut water improves insulin sensitivity. It also helps in reducing the blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetics. Secondly, it has a low glycemic index and contains very little natural sugar. It, therefore, does not cause a spike in your glucose levels.
Besides, it also has the potential to reduce the effects of diabetes complications such as diabetic retinopathy. It is recommended that diabetics drink only 250ml water per day and preferably divide it into two drinks.
Should diabetics drink coconut milk?
The glycemic index of coconut milk is low and is considered healthy for diabetics. It contains electrolytes, minerals, vitamins, proteins, fats, and fiber. The fiber content in coconut milk slows the conversion of starch into glucose, which helps to maintain stability in blood sugar levels in diabetics.
What is coconut milk made of?
Coconut milk is shredded coconut flesh that is pureed with water in a blender or food processor and then strained to make a white liquid. It is then used in cooking to lend flavor, and richness to soups, curries, wilted greens, and more.
What are the benefits of using coconut milk?
Contents and health benefits of coconut milk include:
- Contains medium-chain fatty acids
- Is lactose-free
- Has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal properties
- May support cardiovascular health
- May reduce stomach ulcers
Who should not drink coconut milk?
Those with elevated levels of cholesterol and with cardiovascular disease risk should refrain from consuming too much coconut milk. Lauric acid is the main fatty acid present in coconut fat. It can cause your LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) to increase by inhibiting the receptors that remove LDL from your blood.
Coconut milk contains high levels of calories and saturated fats. A high intake of coconut milk with a carbohydrate-rich diet can result in weight gain.
Which coconut water is best green or brown?
Green coconuts are young and still a little unripe, while the brown ones are fully mature. Brown coconuts have more meat than green ones. If you’re buying a coconut to drink its water, you should opt for the green ones. If you are buying a coconut for its meat to eat or for use in cooking, you should go for the brown variety.
When should drink coconut water during pregnancy?
Drinking coconut water during the first trimester (first 3 months) of pregnancy will help the mother deal with morning sickness and will reduce fatigue. It is also excellent as an exercise drink for pregnant women who do pregnancy exercises, yoga, and meditation.
Does coconut water help in weight loss?
Yes, coconut water helps in weight loss. It contains potassium and high bioactive enzymes, which perk up your body’s metabolic rate, thus helping you burn more calories.
Why is coconut water good for dengue and other fevers?
Any fever, including dengue cause dehydration. Coconut water is 95.5% water with all the essential minerals and necessary electrolytes, which makes it an excellent hydrating agent. Drinking it is the best way to replenish the fluid in the body.
How is coconut water good for the skin?
Drinking coconut water keeps your skin well hydrated giving it a soft glow.
It contains vitamin B2, vitamin B3, and vitamins C, K, and A which are beneficial to skin health. These nutrients stimulate collagen production in the skin giving it a plumper and healthier look.
It improves blood circulation, which gives your skin a glow. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that gives brightness to the skin.
Because of its anti-pigmentation properties, this naturally flavored water helps in lightening sun tan.
Does coconut water remove pimples?
Coconut water’s effect on blood pressure
Coconut water is rich in potassium. It can therefore help lower blood pressure in those with high blood pressure. However, if you are on blood pressure medication, you should avoid drinking it as it could lower it too much.
Are all coconut waters the same?
Natural coconut water differs from packaged water because the latter contains harmful processing chemicals methods that can mar its natural benefits. If you want to gain its health benefits, you have to get it in its most natural state.