Losing weight is among the most sought after topics on the net. This shows that many of us are trying to find ways to burn fat and lose weight.
How can I shed those extra pounds is the question uppermost in our minds. Overweight or obese people don’t look so good. Add to it the serious health complications that obesity can cause.
We search for weight loss supplements, weight loss diets, weight loss recipes, and weight loss exercises. We make a program to lose weight and follow it.
Some of us succeed while some do not.
What differentiates the two of us is the intensity of the motivation to lose weight and the willpower to adhere to the weight loss plan.
In this article, you will find effective weight loss tips without being too strict upon yourself.
Sometimes in spite of a proper diet and physical exercise, you do not reduce your weight. This may confuse and bother you. To help you lose weight, you must understand two basic principles:
1) Certain health conditions and medications do not allow you to lose weight. You must rule them out.
2) You may be missing the basic principle, which is the calorie equation. Burn more calories than you consume every day (explained below).
You should also read:
Reasons that do not allow you to lose weight
Medicines taken for a psychiatric problem can deter your weight loss goals. This may be because after recovering from a bout of depression, you feel better and this makes you eat more.
Certain medicines you take for diabetes and hypertension, prolonged use of steroids, oral contraceptives can cause you to gain weight. Therefore, if you are on any of these medications and are increasing your weight, you should talk to your physician.
Mental stress increases weight because you may respond to stress by eating more. Learn techniques to handle stress. Meditation is a good option.
Certain hormonal disorders
Hormonal disorders like hypothyroidism (reduced functioning of the thyroid) and Cushing’s syndrome (excessive secretion of cortisol) cause weight gain. This is due to increased deposit of fats on certain parts of the body. Your physician will investigate, advise, and treat you for this.
Lack of sleep
Sleeplessness is another reason because it alters your metabolic activity. Take steps to get that proper sleep.
Here, the weight gain is due to hormonal changes taking place in the body. Estrogen levels decrease after menopause and this causes extra fats to get deposited especially around the midriff. A weight-reducing plan comprising of a proper diet and a proper exercise regime can help you lose weight during and after menopause.
Why you should lose weight
I can think of two reasons:
1. For that better appearance so that you can stand proudly amongst others and be able to wear the clothes you want.
2. To avoid certain health problems that come with excess weight or obesity, like heart diseases, diabetes, liver diseases, arthritis, cancer.
The former reason is more likely amongst the young people while the second reason is more attributed to a little later age when you become more health conscious.
Understand this essential principle of weight loss
- Calorie Intake > Calories Burnt = Weight gain
- Calorie Intake < Calories Burnt = Weight loss
- Calorie Intake = Calories Burnt = Weight maintained
One way to lose weight is to keep this principle in mind.
1. Your calorie intake has to be less than calories burnt, which means you eat less,
2. The calories burnt should be more than your calorie intake, which means you exercise more to burn your calories.
Incorporate a little of both in your weight loss plan and always remember this calorie equation. Use a calorie calculator and a BMR calculator to help you with the calorie equation as shown below:
- Use a BMR calculator to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate).
What is BMR?
BMR is the calories required to support your body’s essential activities like breathing, digestion, metabolism, etc and shows the calories burnt for these essential functions by your body even at rest.
- Use a calorie intake calculator to calculate the calories consumed during the day. Know the calories in various foods and drinks.
- Use a calorie calculator to calculate the calories burnt by the physical activity during the day.
Therefore, now you have
- calories consumed,
- calories burnt and
- calories required for BMR.
To lose weight, calories burnt through physical activity should be more than the BMR + the calories consumed.
- if the BMR calorie calculator shows that you have burnt 2500 calories during the day and
- your calorie intake calculator shows that you have consumed 2000 calories,
- then you have burnt 500 calories more than you have consumed during the day.
Going by the thumb rule, you have to burn 3500 calories to lose one lb body fat, then at this rate you will lose one lb weight in one week. Weight loss has to be gradual to look and stay healthy.
Stay on this fundamental principle of losing weight and there is no normal reason why you should not lose weight in the required fashion.
How to lose weight quickly?
- Eat just enough to maintain the BMR (Basal metabolic Rate) and basic nutrition to the body.
- Choose foods, which are low on fat and calorie content. Read the labels carefully before you buy anything to ensure you are not buying something, which has high calories. Know the calorie content in common foods. It will help you keep a watch on your calorie intake.
- Avoid too much variety in your meals, because you then tend to eat more.
- A normal healthy person should drink 3 to 4 liters of water every day. The tremendous benefits of drinking adequate water in weight loss are explained here.
- Incorporate the required physical activity in your daily routine. Physical exercise is to be an everyday affair. There are no weekly-offs, just as there no weekly-offs to eating food.
- Have a strong determination and consistency and your weight loss is guaranteed. For this, the help of your family and friends can be useful to keep your motivation to lose weight high.
- Be patient. Losing those extra pounds has to be gradual. Have a weight loss plan that will spread over a prolonged period. Plan a reduction of half-kilo weight in one week.
How to lose weight is not just about understanding the principle explained above. It is about implementing this principle in your daily routine as soon as possible.
Most people fail to do this because they keep on pushing it to tomorrow, which never comes.
Once implemented, follow what Sir Winston Churchill said: “Never, never, never give up”.